College-wide Navigational Links | Go to Local Content
Main Content |

Intranet: Departments: Crop & Soil Sciences: Standard Operating Procedures

Procedures for Student Appeals, Probations, and Academic Dismissals


For courses in the major, the advisor needs to decide whether to waive or substitute any courses in Area F, Major Required or Major Elective sections.

For courses in Area A-E, the student needs to write a letter of petition providing a rationale for waivers or substitutions. The letter will be provided to the student’s advisor. The advisor will submit it to the undergraduate curriculum committee for approval. Pending approval, the letter will be submitted to the CAES Student Affairs Committee for approval.

If needed, and pending approval, the letter of petition will be submitted to the University Educational Affairs Committee. These are handled as follows:


The three-member Petitions Subcommittee of the Educational Affairs Committee meets once a month to review student appeals. Letters of appeal must be written by the student and should be addressed to:

Educational Affairs Committee
Office of the Vice President for Instruction
University of Georgia
108 New College
Athens, GA 30602
FAX (706) 542-0544

Include your complete name, social security number, mailing address and phone number. Also include any documentation (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) that will be helpful to the subcommittee reviewing your appeal. Students wishing to appear before the subcommittee must include this request in the letter of appeal. In most cases, your dean's office will receive a copy of your letter and will be asked for a recommendation. Please contact that office if you wish to receive a copy of the recommendation. Decisions by the Educational Affairs Committee will be mailed to the student — no results will be delivered by phone, e-mail, or fax.

Please call 706/542-4336 if you have questions concerning the appeals process.

UGA Students' Right of Appeal

University of Georgia students have the right to appeal academic decisions. Usually the appeal goes first to the unit responsible for the decision. An unfavorable ruling at one level can be appealed to the successive levels (for example, a faculty decision can be appealed to the department; a departmental ruling can be appealed to the college in which the instructional unit is located; a college-level ruling can be appealed to the Educational Affairs Committee; the Educational Affairs Committee ruling can be appealed to the President of the University; and, except for grade appeals, the President's ruling can be appealed to the Board of Regents). All grade appeals must be initiated within one calendar year from the end of the term in which the grade was recorded.

For further information, please visit the Office of the VP for Instruction Undergraduate Student Appeal Process page.

Academic Dismissal

For students desiring to return to the Univeristy of Georgia from academic dismissal, a letter of intent needs to be submitted to the department head. The department head will make a decision in consultation with the undergraduate and graduate coordinators. If approved, the letter must be submitted to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for CAES. Generally students that are allowed to return after academic dismissal will be required to participate in the CAES Academic Counseling Program.

Academic Counseling Program

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences is deeply interested in the success of every student. At times, personal difficulties may affect academic performance. The Office of Academic Affairs Academic Counseling Program is interested in providing students with the support they need to overcome these difficulties and achieve academic success.

How can academic counseling help me?

Regardless of your grade point average or classification, academic counseling can help you to:

  • identify issues that may be affecting your academic goals,
  • identify the source(s) of academic difficulties,
  • design an action plan to resolve the issue(s),
  • identify available resources and
  • be retained if you are at risk for academic dismissal.

For more information, please visit the CAES Advising and Academic Counseling page.