Young Harris Beekeeping Institute
We urge all YHBI participants to enter the Institute Honey Show, even if you’ve never competed before.
The show rules have changed for 2017, please read them carefully as you prepare your entry.
- Only registered Institute participants may enter.
- Judges, stewards, and show secretary are disqualified from competition.
- Institute reserves the right to limit the number of entries on a first-come, first-admitted basis.
- There are nineteen show classes:
- Three jars Light Honey (see rules 4, 5, & 6)
- Three jars Medium Honey (see rules 4, 5, & 6)
- Three jars Dark Honey (see rules 4, 5, & 6)
- Three jars Chunk Honey (see rules 4, 5 & 7)
- Three Jars Creamed Honey (see rules 4, 5, & 8)
- Black jar (see rule 4 & 9)
- Three square sections of honey (see rule 11)
- One piece, not patterned, at least 454g (1lb) weight and at least 25mm (1 inch) thick (see rule 12)
- Three matching plain Beeswax Candles, not patterned; all made by molding
- Three matching Beeswax Candles. All to be made by any method other than by molding
- Three matching Beeswax Candles; all made by molding
- Six 28g (1oz) Blocks, matching in all respects
- Six Small Honey Biscuits or Cookies – not in paper cases (see rule 14)
- Bottle of Sweet Mead
- Bottle of Dry Mead
- Metheglin or Melomel, etc. – Dry or Sweet (one bottle)
- Beekeeping Artistry - made by the exhibitor, relating to bees or beekeeping i.e. embroidery, honey pot, painting etc. (not a photograph) (see rule 17)
- Photograph of a beekeeping related subject (see rule 15)
- Beekeeping gadget (see rule 16)